- Harvard University, John F. Kennedy School of Government, Executive Fellow
- Defense Systems Management College, Program Managers Course
- Georgetown University Law Center, L.L.M.
- University of Missouri, J.D.
- United States Naval Academy, B.S.
District of Columbia
U.S. Supreme Court
U.S. Court of Federal Claims
- Association of Government Relations Professionals
- National Defense Industrial Association
- Navy League
- Military Order of the Carabao
- Capital Hill Restoration Society
- John Carroll Society
In addition, Mr. Montgomery has extensive experience assisting companies with facility (security) clearances under the National Industrial Security Program, with particular emphasis on businesses having foreign ownership, control, or influence (FOCI). He advises on all aspects of FOCI mitigation, business structure, security procedures, affiliated operations, outside directors, government security committees, technology/export control, and regulatory compliance. Mr. Montgomery assists foreign companies with establishment of U.S. subsidiaries, and mergers and acquisitions of cleared U.S. companies. He regularly serves as outside general counsel, secretary and/or director to client companies.
Mr. Montgomery regularly lectures on the subject of federal acquisition policy, including for the Lobbying Certificate Program of the Association of Government Relations Professionals. He has testified before the U.S. Congress, as well as state legislatures, and has represented clients during numerous congressional hearings and investigations.
He is Co-Founder of the firm’s consulting entity, MF International Consulting, LLC. Previously, he founded and ran a successful company that provided strategic simulation (war games) and acquisition program support services to the Department of Defense.
Before entering private practice, Mr. Montgomery served twenty-five years as a Navy Judge Advocate, the last nine of which were in the Pentagon, where he held senior legal, legislative, and acquisition positions, including senior advisor to the Secretary of Defense and Special Assistant for Strategy to the Under Secretary of Defense (Acquisition Technology & Logistics). He directed the Defense Department’s congressional relations efforts in the areas of acquisition and technology, procurement policy, logistics, industrial security, international programs, military installations, and environmental policy. He was twice assigned to the Department of the Navy’s Office of Legislative Affairs, first as Legislative Counsel for acquisition, and later as Director of Legislation, where he managed the overall legislative programs of the Navy and Marine Corps. He also served as Special Counsel to the Navy General Counsel, on the staffs of the Secretary of the Navy and Chief of Naval Operations, and as chief legal officer to various military organizations around the world.
Mr. Montgomery is active with numerous civic, charitable, and community organizations, including the Boy Scouts of America, National Capital Area Council, where has served on the Executive Board since 1998, and currently serves as Chairman of the Camping Committee. He is the recipient of the Boy Scout’s Outstanding Eagle Scout Award and the Silver Beaver Award for distinguished service to youth.
- Advised a top ten defense contractor on issues associated with acquisition of a competitor’s shipyard.
- Assisted a small technology company obtain funding from NASA and win its first government contract to support space shuttle operations.
- Developed and directed a multi-year series of highly acclaimed business simulations (war games) to train senior DOD program managers how better to manage major weapons programs within the framework of industry and technology challenges, Pentagon oversight, and congressional pressures.
- Guided numerous foreign-owned companies through the FOCI mitigation process of DOD’s National Industrial Security Program enabling them to obtain facility clearances to perform classified work for the federal government. Implemented model compliance programs for cleared companies.
- Outside general counsel, secretary, and director on client boards.
- Convinced DOD officials to revise policies for procurement of security services.
- Negotiated an administrative agreement resolving suspension and debarment action by the Army against a large construction company. Created an ethics and compliance program for the company.
- Created and managed a small business coalition to advocate for improved and more cost-effective policies for federal procurement of services.
- Advocated successfully for changes to Title 10 provisions concerning domestic repair of naval vessels.